White Stuff was established in 1985 through a simple idea. This idea grew and now we have shops and concessions in the UK and internationally, selling women’s and men’s clothing as well as beautiful accessories and homeware. Our original prints (all designed in house), intricate details and considered design touches reflect our personality and make us subtly distinctive.
Our people are at the heart of our brand, constantly moving and driving us forward. We’re sociable, talented and like minded and we’re not hierarchical or political in how we do business. We encourage entrepreneurial ideas and accountability at all levels.
Who you are:
You will have a keen eye for product and be able to align to our customer needs. You will have excellent communication and negotiation skills especially around pricing, margin, MOQs and MOVs. You’ll be resilient and have a positive personality with the drive and determination to achieve results.
Primary objective of the job:
As Head of Buying, you will lead the team to optimise the performance of the buying function to maximize profitability. You will create and deliver the category vision, focusing on growing cash sales and margin delivery, as well as building successful relationships with suppliers. You manage the buying team to develop ranges with emphasis placed on high quality well designed products. Knowledge of landing a clear ESG strategy and executing all that this involves from a product point of view is imperative.
What you’ll be doing:
Operate as a Senior Business Manager:
· With Head of Merchandising deliver profitable departments irrespective of fluctuating trends
· Analyses trading patterns, advises teams and ensures appropriate action is taken to unforeseen sales reactions
· Identifies promotional/marketing opportunities and manages the process
· Guides teams and agrees dept strategies prior to Brand/Director sign off. Also including leading the Technical team.
· Operates an effective / timely product sign off process, appropriate for product lead-time - “Buying and Design Calendar”. And works to a wholesale model
· Develops a sound supply policy for the Brand, striving for consistent best practice partnerships. Foresees future weaknesses/needs and suggests possible solutions
Provides Product Direction:
· Generates and communicates key product direction for all our product categories with a focus on sustainability
· Ensures that the correct level of newness is present, and that volume lines are maximised and ‘moved on’ at the appropriate time.
· With Head of Merchandising ensures that product reviews are held with Senior Management at the appropriate time for product sign-off
· Oversees dept reviewing processes to maximise opportunities and minimise risks of key events/trends/promotions.
· Constantly reviews the supplier strategy, ensuring we obtain a good level of service from suppliers, new suppliers are sourced where necessary and appropriate costs are negotiated
Develops A High Performing Team:
· Builds a strong team with a focus on succession planning
· Provides positive leadership supporting Leading WS and encourages others to do so
· Develops skills of the team – identifies individual training needs as well as encourages effective teamwork
· Motivates team – gives recognition and praise
· Provides individual support to new buyers and designers
What we will offer you:
- Annual bonus opportunity
- Up to 36 days holiday per annum
- 2 extra (paid!) days off per year to volunteer in the local community
- 50% discount
- Private Medical Insurance
- Subsidised BUPA Dental Insurance
- Healthcare cash plan and Life Assurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Pension Contribution
We are committed to creating an environment where we can all be proud to work and be ourselves. Part of this commitment is being an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, and age